Thursday 15 August 2013

Shopping for a Party of 11 : The Cake Merchant

(Photo credit : www.throughmytwoeyes.com.au)

I came across The Cake Merchant entirely by accident. In fact I spotted it as I was driving by – and boy, am I glad I did! The shop is tucked away in the little shopping village on Hoxton Park Road at Liverpool, adjacent to Aldi, but it’s massive sign definitely lets you know it’s there.


(Photo credit : The Cake Merchant)

Now, usually when you spot a cake shop in a road-side shopping village, it is nothing to write home about. At all. But this shop is entirely different. The first thing you notice when entering the shop is how beautiful it is, the second thing you notice is the smell of baking and the third thing you notice is the queue! A quick look online when I got home revealed a rating of 9.1(!!) on Eatability and a host of reviews, raving about the taste, range and price. Clearly this is a local gem and I can understand why. Sorry if I've blown it guys, but this one is too good not to share!


(Photo credit : The Cake Merchant)

When I visited on a Saturday afternoon, the huge cake display was packed with a fantastic range of cakes, available in whole or half measures. I spotted all the usual suspects - mud cakes, tortes, and baked cheesecakes. But they also had some interesting flavours that you don’t see that often, like Strawberry mud cake, Peanut Butter Baked Cheesecake and Pistachio and White Chocolate mud cake. In fact, their range could keep my Party of 11 going for years, without having to repeat a flavour!



Peanut Butter Baked Cheesecake, Strawberry Mudcake, Pistachio and White Chocolate Mudcake
(Photo credit : The Cake Merchant)


The cakes are really good value too. Roughly $25 will get you a huge cake, which will feed 16-20 people. The halves are about $15. Macaroons and Gelato are available too.
 
To be honest I’m shocked I was able to take this all in, I couldn’t process much after seeing the Butterscotch and White Chocolate Cheesecake in the display. Lucky for me this week is my thirty-something-and-three-quarters birthday. It’s totally ok to celebrate that, right?!


(Photo credit : The Cake Merchant)

The Cake Merchant is located at Liverpool and Bonnyrigg, with parking right outside. It has extended trading hours, but you can bet it will be busy, so give yourself plenty of time to buy – and to choose!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment