Saturday 10 August 2013

Pear, Vanilla and Rosemary Tartlets {with Lime & Thyme - Jams, Chutneys and Relishes}

 
 
 
Inspired by all the time I've spent at the markets lately, I decided to whip up some rustic cheese tartlets.
 
Firstly, may I publicly thank the person who invented the rustic look? It is a godsend for dexterity-challenged people like me! Having said that, I'm not sure cheese tartlets should be done any other way. And their rustic-ness (or is it rusticity?!!) and simplicity make them perfect for fantastic fresh produce picked up from the farmer's market.
 
 
 
 
These tartlets have a cheesy egg filling with chopped fresh rosemary, topped with a little wedge of pear. However, they also have a secret ingredient - a dollop of Pear and Vanilla Jam from Lime and Thyme, to give them a nice sweet hit.
 

I came across Lime and Thyme at my second home, Cobbitty Village Markets, and the ladies were lovely enough to let me high jack their stall and take these photos of their great range for your viewing pleasure!
 







 
With my mouth watering from looking at all these taste sensations up so close, I had no choice but to take some home. So, I went for the Pear and Vanilla Jam, being very reliably informed that it would be fantastic with a strong cheese on a cheese platter.
 
However, if you've been playing along at home, you'll know that I am just not satisfied unless I've encased something in puff pastry/ shoved it into a cupcake liner/ smothered it in melted chocolate. So puff pastry it was, and these tasty little tartlets were born.
 
Insert your own joke about tasty little tartlets here - I'm tired from all this baking!
 
 

Pear, Vanilla and Rosemary Tartlets (Makes 12)

 


Ingredients

3 sheets puff pastry
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
6 teaspoons Pear and Vanilla Jam
2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
1/3 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
Small pinch of salt and pepper
1 small pear
Butter and additional jam for brushing

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 200C and lightly grease a muffin tin.
  2. Cut 10cm circles from the pastry sheets and line muffin holes.
  3. Whisk eggs and milk together, then add rosemary, cheese, salt and pepper and combine well.
  4. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam in each tart shell, then cover with egg mixture.  
  5. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and place a small piece of pear on each tartlet. If you are using a particularly sharp cheese, you might want to brush the top with a little bit more jam.
  6. Bake the tartlets for a further 10 minutes and serve warm. They can also be reheated in the oven if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment